PROUD/IPERGAY : PrEP reduced the risk of HIV infection by 86% for gay and other MSM
The long awaited results of the PROUD pilot study and IPERGAY studies are now out showing an amazing 86% reduction in the risk of HIV acquisition for those HIV negative receiving Truvada either daily or peri-coital.
- Results of the PROUD study can be found here and those of the IPERGAY study here.
- AidsMap also reported on PROUD and IPERGAY.
Reactions so far have been overwhelmingly positive.
- Listen to Dr Mitzy Gafos discussing the PROUD results on the Today Programme on Radio 4
- Michael Brady writing for the Guardian says that “HIV prevention finally has a game-changer, and it’s called Truvada”
- Sarah Boseley reports for The Guardian on “Daily pill Truvada cuts spread of HIV by 86%, study shows”
- In The Independent, Charlie Copper reports on “HIV pill: Scientists hail discovery of ‘game-changer’ that cuts the risk of infection among gay men by 86%” and Steve Connor questions the “HIV pill: The logic of paying £500 a month so gay men don’t have to wear condoms”, missing the point that PrEP is not so that gay men don’t have to wear condoms, but because they don’t wear condoms often enough to be protected.
- Reporting for the BBC James Gallagher piece “Give HIV drugs to healthy gay men” perpetuate the myth that HIV positive people are not healthy.
Updated as needed…